Latitude: 32.125787, Longitude: 20.064946
Provenance: Google Earth
Latitude: 32.1139055, Longitude: 20.0699815
- برنيكي (Arabic)
- Βερενίκη (Ancient Greek)
- Βερενίκη ἡ καὶ Ἑσπερίδες (Ancient Greek)
- Berenicis (Latin)
- Berenice (Italian)
- Béréniké (French)
- Βερονίκη (Ancient Greek)
Relationships with other locations
Relationships with other locationsThis displays relationships with locations within which the item falls, and relationships which it contains. We only display the immediate relationships, not a full series. If a location falls within Cyrene, we do not also display its relationship to Cyrenaica; similarly, if Cyrene contains the Agora, we do not also display the items within the Agora at the same level.
Related locationsThis is a location within which a location falls. Most of these are conceptual – for example a Roman Province, a Hellenistic Kingdom or the chapter of a book – so many locations have multiple parent locations.
- Berenice forms part of Benghazi
- Berenice on (road/linear feature) Berenike to Taucheira, road
- Berenice forms part of Hexapolis (administrative area)
- Berenice forms part of Libya Superior (Late Antiquity)
- Berenice forms part of Pentapolis (administrative area)
- Berenice forms part of Sites to the south of Benghazi (Kenrick)
Inverted related locationsThese are locations contained within the location – these may, for example be monuments within a settlement, or zones within a city
The locations below are contained within Berenice
After the marriage (around the middle of the 3rd century BC) of Ptolemy III to Berenice, daughter of the Cyrenean Governor Magas, the settlement of Euesperides became "Berenice". The change of name also involved a relocation. Berenice lies underneath Benghazi's modern city centre.